Established circa 1827 Darlington Cricket Club was reported as having its home at the Green Tree Inn on the corner of Skinnergate, playing on the field behind the Inn which extended up to Larchfield Street, by the late 1830’s the club became established on a field near Park Street, now the site of the Police Station, Fire Station and Royal Mail Sorting Office where they played numerous matches before moving to their current home ‘Feethams’ in 1866
In 1905 a Bazaar was organised by the club initially to raise £700 to pay off debts following the purchase of the land 2 years earlier and then any additional monies would be used to start a fund for the erection of a new pavilion. Building work on the new pavilion started in the Autumn of 1905 and it was officially opened during the tea interval of the West Hartlepool game on Saturday 26th May 1906.
The 1920’s turned out to be our best ever playing decade winning the ‘A’ division title six times in seven years and the ‘B’ division title seven times in 10 years and during four of those seasons winning both the ‘A’ and ‘B’ division titles at the same time. We also went on to win the Kerridge Cup three times, making 1921 probably our most successfully season, winning all three of the leagues trophies.
In 1961 the club carried out a ground floor extension and re-furbishment of the club fruit machines were installed to help generate extra income and the club was even opened up to ladies for the first time, however, this was the start of a new era within the club and by the 1980’s we saw our first ladies on the club committee including the late Janet Stubbs, and by 2015 we appointed our first ever lady chairperson in Gloria Howells.
The club has also runs the Eggleston Cup, which is open to all members of the Darlington & District league and in more recent years has opened up to other leagues in the area who play at a similar level. The club is also the meeting point for Darlington & District League to have their committee meetings enabling us to continue to support local cricket. We also host a number of school’s festivals for the local schools throughout the year and also still play host to Durham County at 2nd XI and junior levels along with their new girls T20 competition and softball festivals.
Feethams hosted its first Durham C.C.C. fixture against Northumberland on 15-16th June 1883, and since then many opponents have visited Feethams since, these have included the 1901 South African and 1923 West Indian tourists the latter returning again in 1991. Middlesex, Somerset, Glamorgan and Northamptonshire have also played along with many others as Durham went on to play First-Class cricket from 1992, with Durham enjoying their first County Championship victory against Somerset at Feethams on 2nd-4th June.
Darlington joined the North Yorkshire and South Durham League ‘A’ Division in 1896. Since then the 1st XI have won 22 ‘A’ Division League Championships (nearest rivals Guisborough have won 17). The Club 2nd XI joined the ‘B’ Division in 1897 and have won 20 ‘B’ Division League Championships (nearest rivals Stockton have won 11). A league record which is truly unprecedented.We go on to now be the oldest/longest serving team to still be playing in the top flight having played in the top division now for 122 years.
Darlington Cricket Club
-------- from 1827 --------